UCLA is part of the NeuroNEXT network that is sponsored by the National Institutes of Health National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke.. Dr. Perry Shieh and Michael Graves participate in a number of clinical trials that are sponsored by NIH, industry, and non-profit organizations. Currently active clinical trials include trials for:
- Late Onset Pompe Disease (sponsored by BioMarin)
- Hereditary Inclusion Body Myopathy (sponsored by Ultragenyx)
- Periodic Paralysis (HYP-HOP, NIH Sponsored)
- Steroid trial for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (FOR-DMD, NIH Sponsored)
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Biomarker (sponsored by NIH through NeuroNEXT)
- NP001 for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) (sponsored by Neuraltus Pharmaceutical).
- Ceftriaxone for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) (NEALS study, NIH Sponsored).
Perry Shieh, M.D., Ph.D,
Associate Professor of Neurology
Dr. Shieh specializes in the diagnosis and the clinical care of rare muscle disease. His research interests are focused on
- Clinical trials for muscle diseases
- Pathogenesis of neuromuscular condiitons
- Biomarkers of neuromuscular diseases.
Dr. Shieh earned his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from the Johns Hopkins University of Medicine before completing his Neurology Residency Training at Stanford and his Clinical Neurophysiology Fellowship training at Partners in Boston. faculty in 2003.
Michael Graves, M.D.
Professor of Neurology
Dr. Graves’s research interests include “Bayesian diagnosis of ALS” and clinical trials in ALS and other neuromuscular disease.
UCLA is a member of the Western ALS Research Group (WALS), Northeast ALS research group (NEALS), and Pacific 10 ALS Research Group.
Dr Graves serves on the Medical Advisory Board for the “GBS/CIDP Foundation International”, which has designated UCLA as a ”Center of Excellence” in inflammatory neuropathies. https://www.gbs-cidp.org/